Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Accomplishing the impossible...

The impossible task at hand is getting Fallout 3 to run on my Dell Inspiron n4010 laptop. Maybe it's not quite impossible to a seasoned techie, but to someone with a barely elementary knowledge of computers it's a pretty difficult task. Everything I know about workarounds, hacking, and cracking I've taught myself through many hours of trial and error, Google, and frustration. Last year I managed to successfully mount and run a cracked copy of Fallout: New Vegas on my laptop for many months without issue, even heavily modded. Then I decided to try my hand at Fallout 3. I got a cracked version, mounted it, and installed it. The launcher and main menu ran perfectly, though every time I tried to start a new game it would crash to desktop upon the loading screen. At first I attributed this to the fact that I was using a cracked version, and that the person who packaged it may have forgotten something or the version was corrupted in some way. So recently I bought a legit version of Fallout 3 for the PC through digital download from Game Stop, and the problem still persists. Upon the first loading screen, the clock/cross-hair at the bottom (for those familiar with the Fallout 3 loading screen) completes about a half revolution then crashes to desktop, saying only that "Fallout 3 has stopped working". I have Fallout 3 for the PS3, but I'd like it on the go as well, because I'm that obsessed.

I'm determined. I will make this work. New Vegas worked on this same laptop so I'm not sure why Fallout 3 would have any problem. I ran canirunit.com on my laptop for both games, and both said my video card did not meet the minimum requirements because apparently the Fallout games, especially Fallout 3, do not recognize the current Intel HD graphics card. So it's not the fact that I have an outdated card it sounds like, just not a super powered one like the game requires. I have the standard not the obsolete, which is fine. But if my video card did not meet the minimum requirements for BOTH games, then how could I run New Vegas flawlessly? With a little bit of search work I found out that the "crash at new game" bug is a common one associated with Fallout 3. I tried downloading the latest official patch. Didn't work. I tried downloading the latest unofficial patch. Nothing. Right now I'm trying the tutorial on how to run Fallout 3 on "underpowered" hardware, a process which will trick the game into thinking I'm running it on an Nvidia Geforce 7900GS video card, which is apparently what will run the game.

Here's hoping. I really want this to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment