Monday, January 23, 2012

"Civic duty" and other bullshit

I've never been summoned for jury duty yet, but I think the whole thing is bullshit. It's my "civic duty". What? It's my duty to sit in a chair for 10 hours and listen to some ivy league suit pricks rant about how each others' client is an immoral, malicious bastard spawn of the devil and should be lit on fire and throw under a bus? Sure, they're both guilty, guilty of wasting my time and the time of the other unfortunate souls on the panel. I'm journalist, not a lawyer or a political scientist. It's not my "duty" to sit around deciding the fates of strangers. Leave it to the professionals who spent however many years of their lives studying that kind of shit. Plus it's a free country, I should have the right to decline. But no, I get fined or thrown in prison if I refuse jury duty. Way to be a toddler, government.

The only case I've EVER found myself emotionally and nearly personally involved in is that of the West Memphis Three, but the Arkansas "justice system", fortunately saw the light last year and set the boys free after successfully robbing them of almost two decades of their lives by throwing them in prison for being different. And yes, anyone with a brain and a functioning ocular nerve can see that that was the REAL reason they were convicted. Conservative West Memphis, Arkansas doesn't take kindly to anyone who isn't like them. But that's another 11 page rant that will have to wait for another day, they're free and that's what counts. Anyways, bullshit. The WM3 case falls under that category.

In other bullshit, parking tickets. Really? You're going to punish me for parking in a designated parking area? Jesus Christ Superstar. I bet NEXT you'll give me a ticket for standing on the wrong crack in the sidewalk. Parking tickets make just about as much sense as excommunication and Converse boots, none whatsoever. Ooh I parked in a spot for too long, I'm a hardened criminal I am. I should be locked up between Charles Manson and the Uni-bomber for my unspeakable crimes against society. Impractical. B. S.

And scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment