Thursday, January 26, 2012

Video Gaga...

I love film. I love music. So naturally I'm a fan of music videos. Well, good ones. Not ridiculous ones. Decent enough ones. Whatever. Anyways, I'd like to share with you some of my favorites in no particular order, with a short commentary on each.

*This list is subject to change, as I will add more to it when I see more videos I like.



"The Ghost of You" by My Chemical Romance

Not only does Gerard Way look incredibly handsome (like a young Ray Liotta...I think I've mentioned my silly girl crush on Ray Liotta. Well if I haven't, there you go) and show off his passionate stage presence in this video, his acting is also fantastic I think. This is a powerful song with an equally powerful video to match. I personally think My Chemical Romance are very overlooked as artists, and are too quickly written off as as "just another whiny emo band". I saw them live in 2007 during The Black Parade (one of my favorite albums of all time, by the way), and not only are they highly talented musicians, Gerard is one of the most exciting performers I think I've ever seen. Don't underestimate them. If you do, I think someone's got a case of fame envy.



"Unstoppable" by Foxy Shazam

I actually just stumbled upon these guys tonight, and I have to say I am amazed. This is definitely one of the coolest videos I've ever seen, featuring live visual illusions in a classy black and white. It's hallowed ground and potentially blasphemous in the music world to make a statement like this...but their music is quite remnant of Queen, and Eric Sean Nally (the charming singing mustache man) displays Freddie-like showmanship, as well as costumes even. His vocals though remind me more of Justin Hawkins of the Darkness. They are "here to save rock n' roll", and by gum I think they just might. Great job, guys.



"Lotus Flower" by Radiohead

Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, and some of the best music for a night drive and intensive study sessions. I do love this song even though the rest of the album ("King of Limbs") didn't appeal to me at all, and I love the video. Lead vocalist Thom Yorke's gracefully chaotic dancing is a lot of fun to watch, and enough to make anyone get up and dance with him; some of his early movements remind me a little of Cesare in the silent 1919 German expressionist film "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". I also adore his Tom Waits-like ensemble.



"Conquest" by The White Stripes

We have here now my friends, my number one favorite band. The dynamic Detroit duo, pride of my home state, and two of the most adorable people in existence: The White Stripes. They recently split up for now (and I'm hoping to God that they don't stay that way), and this song is from their currently last album "Icky Thump". Meg's performance as the apathetic squire to Jack's pompous matador is great to watch, her expressions get me every time. The video is also very well blocked, especially around 1:17 towards the end of the first chorus, Jack and the bull twirl beautifully along to the descending note. The premise of the video is also fits the song very well, which is basically about a cocky man who underestimates the tenacity of a woman he perceives to be weak and vulnerable to his charms, then well "the hunted became the huntress, the hunter beca-a-ame the prey"!



"The Kill" by 30 Seconds to Mars

I always love 30 Seconds to Mars videos. They're all usually written by Jared Leto himself I do believe, and they're almost always written as short films rather than JUST music videos, complete with some spoken dialogue, and some parts of just silent acting; reflecting Jared's experience as an actor before going into the band full time. Film buffs and Stephen King fans will notice that the video is based on "The Shining". Tomo and the bear...I lose it every time.











No comments:

Post a Comment