Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kind of feeling checkerboard Vans...

I've had a pair before, tan and mocha. Not the classic white and black, because I'm a loser like that. I should have a giant check this week from all the extra hours I worked over my winter break (note to self: do not ruin spring break by being an eager beaver manager pleaser), well maybe not a GIANT check, but more than I usually make. I spent a shit ton over the past couple of days, the most being on school books, over $300. And they were USED books, I'd hate to see the brand new price. Anyways, as a present to myself out of my fancy big check, I'm thinking checkerboard slip-ons.

Towards the end of my shift tonight I was helping catch up on dishes in the back room (my new favorite place to be), when "Icky Thump" by The White Stripes came on the radio. I had to fight every fiber of my being to not rock out right there in the back room to that amazing song. I honestly love the White Stripes, they are my favorite band, hands down. Not to mention Jack and Meg White are two of the most adorable people in existence, in a non-creepy way. My friend and co-worker Louis and I also discussed what our Wendy's would be like if it were a reality show, I imagined it'd be like a cross between "The Office" and "The Shawshank Redemption", moreso like "The Office" though. You know, as much as I tend to dislike the work I have to do and some of the churlish assholes who pay me to help hasten them toward a cholesterol filled grave, I do enjoy the people I work with. I suppose you have to at some point, we're in a tiny kitchen together for 8 hours, but I do genuinely like them. I'm such a social recluse though, I really can't stand it sometimes. I'm so nervous around people, it's ridiculous, it's a wonder I have any friends. I mean, I do tend to get along with others right off the bat, but I know that at times I drive them away unintentionally because I'm so shy, and they sometimes mistake my shyness for snobery. The only way I've been able to combat this is to hide behind sarcasm. When I don't take the situation completely seriously, the cause for nervousness becomes less. I can't really explain it, it just is what it is. And I'm becoming a journalist, the irony. If I keep plenty of alcohol and Flexerol on hand I think I'll be fine though.

No comments:

Post a Comment