Monday, January 16, 2012

I need to get out more...

Get out and explore, have adventures. Find places, talk to random people. Whether I'm solo or with others, I need to get out there. I realized this today when out with my friend Christian, hanging around campus. There's so much to do, see, and discover around there; and as a student of journalism I need to be more involved in the what's going on around me, become more worldly. And you know, despite having one of the highest crime rates in the United States, if not the highest, Detroit really is an interesting and beautiful city. We're right in the thick of Downtown at Wayne State, the best place to be, the best place to experience so many awesome things. Museums, theaters, bars, graffiti, architecture; Detroit is like one giant art project, a mural of culture. Unfortunately everyone writes us off as nothing more than a ruined city full of gun-toting crazies ready to blast one in your head for breathing our air, when celebrated cities like Chicago, New York or Cleveland can be just as bad. We aren't perfect, but we aren't Hell on Earth. Danger is everywhere, dysfunction is everywhere. No one neighborhood, city, or society is without it in some way or another. I'm actually from Taylor, but to everyone outside of the state it's a as simple as this: if you're from Michigan, you're from Detroit. And you know what? I'm proud of it. We've got our problems, but we aren't done yet. So don't underestimate us.

No comments:

Post a Comment