Thursday, January 12, 2012

This 9:35am class will be the death of me...

I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not sure why I thought I could do this every Tuesday and Thursday. On Tuesday I woke up around 8:30, blasted down I-94, found a parking spot, AND got a coffee with 15 minutes to spare before the start of the class, I was impressed with myself. This morning went a little the same way, except I woke up at 8:50. I didn't leave the house until about 8:55 because I couldn't decide on a shirt. I must suffer from minor body dysmorphia, as I think my shoulders are bigger and wider than they really are, thus making shirt choosing hell for me. Perhaps I just need better posture, the fact that I'm hunched over all the time could make my shoulder appears to be bigger.

After my wardrobe episode I dash out of the house, a little repeat of Tuesday, hair a tousled mess, eyes dark with exhaustion. 70mph down 94 towards Detroit, it's raining so that means speed will not be an option of other drivers, to me it is a minor setback. I'm impressed with the quickness and control of my driving, at my skill level two years ago I would have already added a mural of steel, blood, and guts to a side road wall. "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John shuffles on the iPod, the only thing holding me together.

It's going well until I pass under the Wyoming overpass, where the speed limit drops from 70 to a staggering 55, or just about around there. I'm in Detroit now, and we're close to the exit ramp to the bridge to Canada, so there's no shortage of semis holding things up.

"Made for TV Movie" by Incubus.

It was actually going pretty smoothly, then about one exit away from Trumbull (and Wayne State), a gas tanker slows the entire right lane to a crawl, and I'm so close to my exit that I'm not even going to attempt to get over and around via the center lane. The attempt would be futile anyways as these are Metro and Detroit motorists, and we are selfish sons of bitches on the road.

I reach the campus at last, and just as suspected, clustershit. This is a university, America's best and brightest in a collective of knowledge and excellence, but once a traffic light starts blinking they have no fucking idea what to do. Plus it's raining, which makes their anxiety worse.

"Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park

9:30, fuck. I take strategic action and park at a closer structure on Anthony Wayne right next to Manoogian Hall, and will probably start parking at that one from now on considering that 3 of my 4 classes are in Manoogian. I haul ass down the sidewalk, through the doors, up the stairs, and into my seat. I sit down, 9:34 Mission accomplished. I need a mocha espresso after this...



No comments:

Post a Comment