Friday, January 13, 2012

I've heard "awesome" gets you a book and movie deal...

And honestly, I don't have that kind of time. Time spent trying to be awesome could be time spent writing, or singing, or giving in to questionable unconscious desires. Um, what? Nothing.

Damn I only really started drinking coffee last Saturday when out with friends after work, at which time I had about four cups in a row. I never used to like it, never liked its bitterness, not even with creamers, but this time it didn't taste too bad. At first I took this as a sign of aging, at 20 years old I had finally acquired adult taste buds; now I fear it's becoming a little bit of a problem. Now I've been a caffeine addict for as long as I can remember, I'm no stranger to the rush, the shakes, the kidney scares, the pee. After reading the symptoms I've recalled that I've come close to about 5 or 6 caffeine overdoses, that was back when I used to drink about 4-5 liters of Mountain Dew each day, each bottle contains about 256/mg of caffeine per 12 ounces. I think, from what I remember from reading the side of the bottle. I don't know measurements, but that sounds like a lot. Plus the reaction of those I tell is almost always one of disbelief, so I'm guessing that it was not a good thing. A couple of days ago at school I had drank 3 mocha espressos from Starbucks, the next day I had 2. I find that I don't feel like complete shit after about 3-4 16 ounce cups of coffee as opposed to 3-4 12 ounce or liters of Mountain Dew, perhaps there's more caffeine and less sugar, I'm not sure. Plus I notice a significant increase in my cognition when I'm drinking a lot of coffee as opposed to soda. I can THINK. FAST. Though the jitters are worse. I've developed this thing (I'm almost certain from the caffeine over the years) where I'll tap my fingers quickly on the back of my head for a couple of seconds, I can't really explain it, you'd have to see it. It's just happens, like Tourette's or something, but I know it's from the caffeine. There's been speculation that people who drink a shit ton of caffeine like me can experience nerve damage as a side effect, maybe that's what it is, there hasn't been any solid correlation made yet, but it makes sense.

It's still an addiction, every time I thought I could quit I can't. But hey, at least it's not heroin.

No comments:

Post a Comment